28 February 2009

Tables turned

17:45 25 February 2009

Much like most Americans, I have taken part in or at least witnessed my fair share of International Aid fundraising, clothing drives, used material collections, or other internationally focused aid efforts. Books for Africa, Helping Honduras, and the likes of these organizations aim to get much needed materials to aid in the development of areas of the world that otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford them for themselves. I’ve helped box books, donated used clothing, and bought a music CD in support of these various efforts, but one thing always remained for me in the past was that I had always been on the giving end of these projects and never had witnessed the benefit of them. Today I had the opportunity to see a truckload of used clothing donated from the Swedish Red Crescent and delivered to my school to be distributed to the community.

I don’t know if I can convey in words the strangeness of seeing this for me. The people that were receiving this clothing are people that I lead a somewhat similar life to now. They are by no means wealthy, but the quality of life here could be much, much worse, and I live at that level now. It made me truly realize things that I had forgotten because I had become so used to living here. People don’t go hungry or naked here, but clothing is frequently old and worn, and most of the items sold at the bazaar are of low quality to make it more affordable. This high quality but slightly out of style Swedish clothing (probably just coming into style in America) was being given away to families and individuals that lead a similar life to what I live. True, most here don’t have a computer, go skiing, or receive semi-regular shipments of impossible to find food here (though shockingly everyone here has a nicer cell phone than me- unfortunately what they spend on the cell phone that save by never buying units and instead my-aking me, an annoying practice of ringing someone and hanging up so they call you back- cellphones here are primarily unit based vs. contract) but my living allowance, living situation, work, and location all put me in a similar socio-economic sphere as the same people that are receiving this free European donated clothing. I’ve always had the fortune to live in a comfortable setting and have never truly wanted for anything. While I still don’t consider myself poor (my $60 a month living allowance here goes a pretty long way), my living conditions, spending habits, and pattern of life all resemble that of poverty in America. Interestingly enough, out of the innumerable stresses and things that I find frustrating here, my economic situation and inability to purchase certain things I might otherwise want ranks very low. I’ve always believed that money couldn’t buy happiness – now I believe it further – lack of wealth doesn’t necessarily mean lack of satisfaction with life.

No comments: