28 February 2009

Campin'

20:30 16 February 2009

With the first day of the camp over, things seem like they are going well. We had a couple of last minute issues with people showing up after they had told us they wouldn’t be able to make it and their spots had been replaced in the roster but it all worked out in the end. All in all, we have forty students from five villages and between the ages of fourteen and eighteen. I was also really impressed with the enthusiasm with which the kids participated. I know if I had been at a camp and they had asked me to do some of the things we asked them to do I would not have been half as willing to embarrass myself and participate.

While I am certainly exhausted from having to deal with forty kids as the highest authority – no passing the buck here, it was a really nice break from a week of teaching. The day of camp was much more physically tiring than teaching, but the monotony of teaching the same lesson plans and dealing with the same frustrations every day in the classroom can be more mentally tiring. Anyhow, I think this week will most likely pass by in a flash, the first eight hour day certainly did, and I hope it will be a benefit for these children as well.

No comments: