23 July 2008

Trials and Tribulations

22:55 20 July 2008

It’s odd how sometimes the most rewarding days can start with the most frustrating beginnings. I woke up today on a good note, I finally figured out a way to combat the allergies I had been experiencing in my room. I think there is something in the pillow and mattress that is causing me to have a really sore through and itchy upper palate (weird sensation). I’ve been doping up on Benadryl and got an allergy medicine but I had been waking up in the middle of the night because of it. So yesterday I slept on top of the covers, used Marisa’s blanket as a pillow and found that I didn’t wake up. Victory!

This small win was then overshadowed by a frustrating breakfast with some of the most intense Kooshaing (Eat! Eat!) I had experienced, almost to the point of an angry command. After breakfast, I wanted to do laundry, and I had done it before so I know how, and didn’t understand when my Mama told me to wait. After inquiring several times (to our mutual frustrations) I figured out it had to do something to do with waiting for hot water and the bathtub, but still didn’t understand why I couldn’t just wash my clothes in cold water. I never really resolved this.

Later, I received a text letting me know that a lot of PCTs were getting together in Kant to hang out at a café. Being Sunday (my day off, but also the day I find myself craving class for the interaction) I was eager to go and called the appropriate people for permission. After securing it, I let my host family know my intentions and was told to wait until after lunch, which would be served shortly. It was hot and I agreed, but waited impatiently for over an hour to help prepare a complicated meal, delaying my departure and making me late to my rendezvous.

When written down, these concerns look really quite petty. They are, in the big picture they are very minor details. However, for a PCV under a lot of stress, it is often these little added stresses (in addition to the enormous stresses of being in a completely alien country, language, and culture) that set us off. We were told to expect it, so I recognize when I get pissy and try and not to let it affect my overall outlook. Because of this, I was able to really enjoy myself once I got into Kant, and then returning home (after the much needed respite) I was calmer though tired. Talking to my parents and then even Ashley was also a really nice event. I had a really cool experience after talking with them as I brought the cow out with Max to the field to graze. I didn’t realize how gorgeous the field was, and so close to the house (I’ll put up pictures later). The mountains loom in the distance (it’s a much better view from the field than the village) and a crumbling Soviet factory lies in the distance. Very cool sites. In addition to the view and minding the cow, I had a surprisingly effective conversation with Max. I was happy with that, and we even traded cell-phone numbers.

After dinner (during which I brought up the fact that eating at my age and size is less encouraged, to a big laugh from my family), I brought out “One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish”. The daughter, Alyiona, can read English somewhat and speaks a little bit, but never wants to practice. I was happy that I was able to help her read, and then even translate parts of the book for her family. It was a good exercise, and one I felt was fruitful and indicative of the good influence TEFL volunteers can have even outside the classroom. It was a good ending to a day that started out frustratingly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad the bulkiness of the blanket actually came in handy for you! :o)