09 July 2008

Back to Biskek

Written 11:00 7 July 2008

We got into Bishkek last night around 2 in the morning, deplaned, went through customs and got all of our bags (no one lost anything!). Unfortunately, I should have taken my parents’ recommendation and offer of a new roller bag as the handle snapped off my old one. I can apparently buy a new bag here, it will just be a hassle in the meanwhile. After a short bus ride, we arrived at our Hotel for the next three days, Hotel Issyk-Kül (named after a famous lake in Kyrgyzstan) The Hotel is a stunning representation of 1970s Soviet architecture, complete with a crumbling façade and concrete block construction. We had a quick debriefing and were allowed to pick room mates for our stay. I’m living with Alex, the person who so far I have gotten to know best and we have gotten along quite well. After unpacking slightly (him realizing his toothpaste exploded all over his bag and me realizing one of my bottles of cologne had leaked – luckily it was in a plastic bag so nothing was ruined, we admired the cool dry air and went to bed. The beds aren’t fancy, consisting of a foam pad and a block of wood, but were reasonably comfortable and I got a decent night’s sleep.

No comments: