03 July 2008

Staging for Staging

Staging commences tomorrow at 1 p.m. (today if you want to get specific). I'm currently outside of Philadelphia (where the staging will be held) at my grandparent's retirement community. The monitors on these computers are HUGE- understandably for those of advanced age, but it is still weird to have my web pages displayed on what amounts to a small Jumbotron.

So the fact that I am in PA and ready for Staging means several things. 1) I have completed the epic task of packing my life into two checked bags under 50 lbs. 2) I have said all of my physical goodbyes (sans parents and Grandparents)and 3) I have two days until I leave the country for over two years. All of these things are various levels of stress inducing, but it won't be long until the stress I am experiencing will be of a completely different kind.

Packing... Oh packing. I've always considered myself a relatively thrifty and light packer for trips. Peace Corps Service, however, is not a trip. It's a period of my life, and there will be a lot of things I am not used to. So I had to do a lot of shopping, and more shopping, and even more shopping (I hate shopping) for things I need. This led to a lot of stress. But it also led to two overstuffed bags bursting at the seams ounces under the 50 lbs. limit. I hope. I really hope my scale was accurate. Packing has been stressful, but PC has told me that in country, creature comforts will be the least of my concerns. I am not sure if I should be reassured by this.

Goodbyes varied in their difficulty. This will be the first time I will not go to school with David L. in twelve years. We had our last romp (fittingly with a game of Settlers of Cataan) last night and I said my farewells to him, Diane, and Jon C. Despite my closeness with David, we have gone long times without seeing each other and I know that my relationship with him will be able to pick up where we left off when I return. More difficult were saying goodbye to Jesse, Marisa, and Ashley, my sometimes constant (yes, a paradox) companions. Some tears were shed, hugs couldn't quite convey the amount I will miss them, and it's bizarre to think of the distance that will separate us. However, I still fundamentally believe that I will see these people when I return and that our relationships will survive the trials of time and distance. Honestly, what proved most difficult was saying goodbye to Monty, my dog. If you don't know him, he's a medical mess (semi-crippled, eaten multiple poison mushrooms, asthma, now he has a cardiologist) and getting old at the age of eleven. So I don't rightly know whether I will ever see him again. I went inside just before we left the house and picked him up to say what might have been my final goodbye. What I didn't anticipate were the first real tears of departure (my eyes had only leaked slightly before). As I hugged him, he understood (as animals do) that something was afoot and stopped his normal panting and dogness to turn to me. I really will miss that pooch.

It's now nearly 1 a.m. and while I am sure the nerves and excitement of Staging in the morning will keep me up, I should wrap this up. Next time I report, I will be out of country (probably, unless staging is REALLY interesting). Wish me luck and safe flights.

1 comment:

Erin Grady said...

*tear*
we're gonna miss you Jon!
we'll see you when you get back, seriously.

<3 Erin