30 July 2008

Party Times!

08:00 25 July 2008

Wow! It is really raining out there right now! That is the first time it has rained hard since I have been in country. Last night it was drizzling on and off, but it is an actual downpour right now. That is fantastic. Almost all of Kyrgyzstan’s power comes from a hydroelectric damn on a lake, but historically low levels of precipitation this year have meant that we have had electricity for only a few hours a day. Consequently, out water has also been unreliable and only came back on yesterday after several days with none at all. People are worried about the electricity situation this winter, and have been stocking up on cow-dung patties to burn for heat in case the electricity is out for extended periods of time.

Last time I talked about developing a routine. Well, as soon as I did that, I got to experience something completely new and interesting. Malika, our language and cultural facilitator, had her birthday yesterday. Despite the fact that she is from the South of the country and a fairly observant Muslim, people brought alcohol to the party and all the males were expected to drink (just a little was okay though) and even toast. I was able to manage a poorly formed toast praising Malika as a teacher and telling her that her students loved her a lot. Following the feast, which was delicious and included the obligatory plov, delicious eggplant, dill, and tomato wraps, beet salad, and other local dishes, there was dancing. I am not a good dancer. Fortunately, in this culture, male’s are expected to do little more than sway side to side, extra bonuses come if it is actually to the rhythm. This expectation meant that my simple embellishments were greeted enthusiastically, it was a lot of fun. We eventually moved outside because it was too warm inside, and I must admit, never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought that I would have a dance party next to a pen of cows and a plot of corn in the middle of Kyrgyzstan. How wild.
(Top Left) My host Papa dances with Mama Leela, Malika's host Mother (bottom left) HCNs and Andrew, a PCV enjoy the feast (bottom right) Malika accepts many flowers

No comments: