15 November 2008

Presidential

12:15 7 November 2008
The day of the election was so fun! There was a program at the American corner in Karakol about the American political process- American corners are embassy sponsored English language and American cultural resource centers with free internet, English libraries, and neat programs. An employee from the embassy came and solicited help from nearby PCVs on explaining the American political process and answering questions. The program was definitely a hit, we had a mock election and the Kyrgyz people there seemed genuinely interested in the whole thing. The biggest benefit for me though was that we could use the computers to monitor election results throughout the whole end of the day! After the polls in California and the west coast closed and CNN called the election for Obama, there was quite the sigh of relief/cry of joy from the group of volunteers gathered there (not that there aren’t volunteers that lean right as well). Anyhow, it was great to be able to celebrate with friends there.

Now I am in Bishkek, I came for program travel but came early to see a doctor today- they wanted to check out my thumb and I’ve been having a little pain in my knee. Apparently they think that when I tripped and sprained my ankle I also tore my meniscus slightly. Luckily it was minor- they gave me ibuprofen cream and a knee brace- it should be better in 2 weeks but its good that I got at it looked at lest I have hurt it further. Anyhow, I’m in the big city (well- comparatively speaking) and I am going to enjoy myself.

No comments: