25 October 2008

Yikes! Pt. 3

22:00 24 October 2008

I now have more evidence that I am not a farmer. My family received two huge logs for our firewood for the winter and a friend who owns a big saw came over to assist us in making them smaller for our stove. Our friend was doing the big work, cutting up the 2 foot diameter logs into sections with the saw and I was cutting the discs into smaller pieces with an ax and a hammer and wedge. I was really surprised actually how easy this wood split- a huge disc could be twined with a mighty blow from the ax. These halves were subsequently broken into smaller and smaller pieces with the axe until they were about half the width of my forearm-each disc had about 50-60 pieces in it. I actually really like chopping firewood; I find it kind of cathartic and relaxing to make big things into little things.

I digress, in the process of chopping one of the smaller pieces, my hand holding it upright slipped and the (admittedly relatively light) blow of the axe reined all its force across my thumb. I initially was confused why the log didn’t break and then realized that I had instead cleaved my thumb. As I said, the blow was relatively light, but even a light blow from an axe can do relatively serious damage to our digits. I believe I was relatively lucky- while I split my thumbnail cleanly in two with a pretty serious and deep cut- I didn’t damage my nerves so I think that the long-term damage will be relatively minimal. Immediately after realizing the damage I did (I was in shock so it didn’t really hurt) I thought it was worse and convinced myself momentarily that my thumb was held on by a mere flap of skin- luckily this was not the case. Then I immediately washed the cut and called the Emergency Peace Corps Medical Officer line. They gave excellent advice of what I needed to do and had me photograph the wound- later it was emailed to them from the city and they assessed that I didn’t need to make a trip to the PC medical staff and that I could care for it myself. If you are really curious the grizzly extent of my injury- email me and I will show you the pictures- the better part of valor has prevented me from posting here.

No comments: