18 October 2008

Ce-le-brate Teacher's Day Uh huh!

22:00 16 October 2008

This past Monday we had our Teacher’s Day Holiday party. While the actual date of the holiday had been a week and a half earlier, we were on break at the time so it got rescheduled to Monday. I am happy to report that I was significantly more successful in limiting my consumption of alcohol this time, I got by with only a few sips of homemade wine- though at times I had to literally cover my cup to prevent the addition of vodka. Regardless, the food was really good with an array of cold salads and then the typical plov. I’ve realized since abandoning my vegetarianism that I do enjoy the tastes of some kinds of meat, however, the more I eat it the more I realize that mutton is not one of them. Unfortunately, it is the preferred meat here and when it is in something everything else tastes like it. Oh well, while I doubt I will ever like it, I have become good at choking it down when I have to.

The following day I headed to Cholpon-Ata, a four hour plus travel, to get a flu shot. I had never gotten one before, but I figured since Peace Corps was providing it and I may be at a higher risk to just go ahead and get it. It was also a nice opportunity to see a bunch of other volunteers on the lake as well- it was a mini reunion and it was great to hang out with people that I had missed. Unfortunately, as all good things do, it came to an end and I had to head back (after I spent one night there). Anyhow, I feel that my prose is probably really boring right now- I’m tired. I’m going to Karakol tomorrow after classes for a Peace Corps Issyk-Kul welcome weekend. It should be a lot of fun and hopefully I will have some interesting stories from it.

No comments: