12 December 2008

"Green bean" Casserol

18:15 1 December 2008

I got home from a wonderful Thanksgiving in Karakol yesterday. I spent the weekend
there to celebrate the holiday with other volunteers, eat Kyrgyz versions of traditional holiday dishes, and just enjoy the company of Americans. It was definitely a success and the food was delicious- I think that after the meal was the first time I was truly stuffed in Kyrgyzstan. I brought cranberry sauce sent from home and made stuffing and note-quite green bean casserole. I say not quite because I was unable to find any green beans in Karakol, I assumed that I would be able to find canned ones, but unfortunately they don’t have them here and the bazaar only had pickled ones. It worked out okay though, I ended up making the same recipe but replaced the green beans with carrots and potatoes and it turned out pretty well.

Anyhow, it was definitely really good to see people but I’ve become so accustomed to village life that every weekend I spend in the city leaves me wanting to get back to the village. Things there are going well and tomorrow my leadership club students will have their presentation at the Childrens Issues Conference and I am excited to attend it.

No comments: