20 March 2009

I got the PDM Blues!

09:00 14 March 2009

PDM finished up two nights ago and we had a blast. At the last night of it, my friend Daniel, who was a classical guitar major in college, organized a concert for anyone who wanted to participate. While I didn’t bring my axe, three other volunteers did and I think we put on quite a show. The concert started off with Daniel playing several classical pieces, one of which he composed for a friend of his birthday! They were really superb and I was really impressed with the self composed piece. He ended his set with a fun rendition of Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” which I really enjoyed. After Daniel, my friend Cameron did a solo rendition of a Bob Seger piece and then Daniel rejoined to play Weezer’s “Say it Ain’t So” which was a real hit with the audience.

Following Cameron’s set, my friend James played three self-composed pieces that were really heartfelt; his production is amazing, he had written them all in country and said he has about seven more! I closed the concert with, at first, a solo piece that I had written the music to years ago but couldn’t find good lyrics to (the lyrics still weren’t good, but I wanted to perform it so I did). I then brought out Daniel so I could play the Beatles’ “Ringo’s Theme/This Boy” which was fun and our solos came out really well. For the end of the concert, I had written the “PDM Blues” in the same spirit that I wrote the “PST Blues” that I mentioned several months ago. It featured some great solo work by Daniel and we also brought up our friend Katie for some harmonica support. It was a big hit with the crowd and I really enjoyed playing it. I’m going to try and get the videos of my performances to my parents, so if you are ever curious about seeing the aforementioned performances, try and hit them up.

No comments: